For the third year, TJ Connor fifth graders have been invited to participate in the Mock Newbery Club. This club has quite a task:
- Read five books published this year
- Discuss the books online using Edmodo and Kidblog,
- Vote for the best book using the ALA Newbery Criteria
- Celebrate with the other two schools where the winner chosen by the students and by the ALA Newbery Committee are revealed.
We are working again this year with Fred Hill Elementary in Brockport, NY and Terry Taylor Elementary in Spencerport, NY. The other two librarians, Cathy Manga and Linda Paul, and myself met several times during the year to review books with Newbery potential. The list was challenging. We finally narrowed it down to the following five titles:
- All Rise For the Honorable Perry T. Cook by Leslie Connor
- Some Kind of Courage by Dan Gemeinhart
- Ghosts by Raina Telgemeier
- Paper Wishes by Lois Sepahban
- The Wild Robot by Peter Brown
The students are excited and have started reading their first books. Some are already to read book 2. Check back with us in late January to find out which book our students chose and if our book was also the ALA Newbery winner!